Making the Most of the Distance
This has been a very crazy summer in the Kidd household. Both Allan and I have had to travel quite a bit only not together. We have been juggling our schedules around which of us has to be out of town at any given time.

A few weeks ago Allan had been gone for four days. He returned in time for me to hand him the kids and then I was gone for four days. I met up with him after my stint away only to grab the kids and send him on his way again for four more days.

I don't know if any of you have had these challenges, but the thought that occurred to both of us was "how do we stay connected with all this distance".

In this day of technology we have many tools at our disposal, along with the old fashioned means of communication.



Here are some of the things we did during that time to shrink the physical distance between us:


  • One of the most crucial elements was taking time to make sure our calendars matched. We take time at the beginning of the week to go through the appointments that each of us, and the children have. We decide who is going to handle the specific details.

  • We made good use of the cell phone by endeavoring to talk each morning and each evening, and any chance during the day if needed (respecting the fact that whoever was gone was on a business trip).

  • Email is a great tool, it only takes a second to send a note that says I am thinking of you, and miss you.

  • We realized that we could text message to each others phones at no charge, so an occasional text note was great to receive.

  • On the day when one of us returned from out of town we made sure the children were hugged on, then we would go on a date. Sometimes that date had to be at home, having sent the children upstairs early that night. Or if a sitter and finances allowed we would go out for the evening.

  • Send a note or card in their luggage putting it in a place they will find it!!

  • Have a note or card waiting on their pillow when they return from their trip.

I hope these little tidbits will help you shrink the distance when your spouse has to travel. Let me know what things you do.


Blessings,





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
I am taking some time away from speaking to glean more from God and draw closer to Him. I need to be at home more with my children for a season. I will continue to post on my blog and update you all. I covet your prayers during this new season.
Favorite Sites