Twas the Night Before Christmas..and all were asleep
In Matthew 26:40, Jesus had asked His disciples to watch while He went to pray. He returned from that time of prayer only to find they had fallen asleep. This happens a couple of times. The word "asleep" actually means sluggish, spiritually speaking.

I reflected on the verse I listed above and I thought how often do we let all the circumstances and responsibilities we have get in the way of our being spiritually prepared for celebrating the birth of our Savior?

I am big on establishing traditions with our children. Christmas is a great time of year for doing this. Each year on the first weekend in December we take the children to Appalachian Ski Resort to ski for the day and then we go to a choose and cut tree lot to find the perfect Christmas tree for our family. Of course there must be snow in order to enjoy this tradition.

Our 1st grader's teacher has a local Christmas Tree Farm, so we decided to support their family and get our tree from them. This meant that we could get it before we went skiing. I was excited because I thought I would be able to get all the decorating done a little earlier this year.

Fast forward another week, my best intentions did not materialize. The outside of the house is decorated, and even the inside all except the tree. It seemed that every time I wanted to work on the tree a multitude of other responsibilities required my attention. I was feeling sluggish when it came to setting the complete atmosphere for my family.

I had let all the pressures the holidays bring, weigh on me, and I forgot to keep watch of my heart. I had not been consistent each day with my time at Jesus' feet. I like the disciples had had been guilty of falling "asleep".

I am happy to report that the tree is decorated, we had a wonderful day skiing. Thankfully the slopes had snow on them!! I am once again consistent with my watch and we will all be ready for our celebration of the birth of our Savior.

Don't forget to click on the link below to see what great give aways are waiting this week. I will share some of our other traditions then too.



Blessings to all,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
I am taking some time away from speaking to glean more from God and draw closer to Him. I need to be at home more with my children for a season. I will continue to post on my blog and update you all. I covet your prayers during this new season.
Favorite Sites