"It looks like scribble scrabble in your heart"
"When you say bad words and you do mean things the bible says that is sin and it looks like scribble scrabble in your heart". Sarah Kidd


We were riding home today when my oldest daughter was fussing about something being stupid; my youngest daughter proceeded to preach the sermon listed above. I was totally taken aback with the wisdom that flowed from my now 5 year old (her birthday was April 1st).

Those words created a vivid word picture for me. I thought about all of the times I am sinful and I pictured those bad words or short tempers, judgmental thoughts or glances drawing a scribbly line through my heart. OUCH!! I wonder if God can see my heart behind all those squiggly lines and marks. I wanted to reach for a big eraser.

1 John 3-5 (amp)
3And everyone who has this hope [resting] on Him cleanses (purifies) himself just as He is pure (chaste, undefiled, guiltless).

4Everyone who commits (practices) sin is guilty of lawlessness; for [that is what] sin is, lawlessness (the breaking, violating of God's law by transgression or neglect--being unrestrained and unregulated by His commands and His will).

5You know that He appeared in visible form and became Man to take away [upon Himself] sins, and in Him there is no sin [[a]essentially and forever].



Then God began to remind me of the sacrifice His son made over 2000 years ago. He did all the erasing back then. I must accept that and be faithful to confess my sins as I am convicted when I commit one. If I come to Him with a sincere repentance and a heartfelt desire to do what is right then Jesus gets out His eraser and cleans up my mess. WOW!!

There is another command in the bible that shows us what to do.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


I love how God uses our little ones to teach us mighty lessons.
Blessings,


5 Comments:

Blogger Joyful said...

Charlene this is great! Your daughter's insight was amazing. Don't you love it when your children come up with such amazing truths! Just this past Sunday night as I was driving to church with my son, I was complaining about something that had just happened at home before we left. I was talking to God out loud in the car as I drove, explaining how I felt and asking the Lord to put my thoughts and feelings behind me so that I could go into church with a better attitude. As I kept repeating my feelings of frustration, my son said, "Mom, if you want to put it behind you, you have to stop talking about it". Out of the mouth of babes!
Thanks for sharing your story. The Philippians 4:8 verse is the perfect reminder for me.

Blessings,
Joy

Blogger Bonita said...

Love that word picture! Scribble scrabble sounds so confused, chaotic, and messed up and that pretty much sums up how sin affects things. Thank God for our Jesus eraser!

Hmmm...do you have a little writer on your hands? She's got the "painting pictures with your words" part down pat.

Blogger MelissaTaylor.org said...

Charlene,

I thank your sweet daughter. I love how God uses the little ones to teach us. Scribble scrabble....how true!

Hey, I loved watching you on the Compassion DVD. It made me want to go back so bad! I miss my sponsored child so much it hurts! Wouldn't it be so great if we could go back each summer?

Love you!
Melissa

Blogger Van said...

Is Sarah 5?!!! Oh my 5 and wise- wiser than her little age. Thanks for posting her sermon. It is precious coming on the heals of my thoughts on sin this week. I just finished posting about the investment we make in our children and how it is worth every bit of effort we make. When you hear such words coming from the mouths of babes, you want to praise God for their soft and tillable hearts. I can't wait to hear what she has to say about the DVD. Let me know and I will post it on Air's blog or better yet let her tell you what she wants to tell Air and she can communicate with him!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have often left scribble scrabble on my heart that I wanted erased. Love the image, and it came at a perfect time for me. The scribble scrabble tendency seems to occur at a certain time each month....

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
I am taking some time away from speaking to glean more from God and draw closer to Him. I need to be at home more with my children for a season. I will continue to post on my blog and update you all. I covet your prayers during this new season.
Favorite Sites