You bought what???
Those were the words my husband said over the phone to me last Wednesday. He was driving 12 hours home from a business trip to Florida, and I was trying out my new toys. I bought a pair of roller blades. Now mind you, I am 45 years old and I have never been on roller blades before. He was slightly concerned and mostly shocked at what he thought was my momentary loss of consciousness.

Me on the other hand, I was having a blast. We have a rather steep hill on our street, by the time I had worked my way to the top I too was questioning my decision. All of my children and several of the neighborhood children were joining me on this adventure. The girls were all complaining, I quickly reminded them that this pain was necessary to keep their girlish figures.

I now have faithfully gone roller blading every other day since my purchase. I have fallen a couple of times, no major injuries to report. I am getting much better (at least more stable), the hill is now manageable and if the pain I feel in certain muscle groups is any indication this should be a good choice for exercise.

I have given the prayer walk a bit of a twist. I now take a prayer blading stroll in the morning.
I figure I need all the protection I can get. Seriously, it is quite an enjoyable activity. I know it is good for my heart in more than one way.

What kind of crazy things have you done in the name of exercise?
Blessings,


4 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

Oh Charlene, you very brave woman you! Aren't you the little out-of-the-box thinker!

I had rollerblades once upon a time when I was a trifle younger and more agile. I thought they would be just like rollerskating, which I love, but I just never quite got in the groove. Every time I would rollerblade up and down the street the dog would go nuts. He would run beside me frantically as if to say, "I don't feel good about this, Mom! Oh dear! I wish Dad was here because I know I'm responsible for you and this scares me out of my wits! Please stop, Mom, before something dreadful happens!" To avoid giving the dog a nervous breakdown I finally gave them to Goodwill. Well, that and the fact that I didn't much enjoy them and the kids said I went way too slow.

But you just keep rolling, Sistah!

Blogger LeAnn said...

I tried rollerblading... ONCE! When I purchased them, no one bothered to mention that they didn't come with breaks. As I rolled downhill, picking up speed as I went, I decided that the only way to stop was to get off of the road and roll into someones yard. At least the grass would be softer when I fell (which was inevitable). The moment the wheels hit the grass my bottom hit the ground and I slid all the way across a strangers yard leaving quite a skid mark! Nick was about 5 years old and I remember that he laughed so long and hard that he couldn't stand. I removed the rollarblades and carried them and my son home. I was so traumatized and embarrassed by the incident that I never put them on again. They did, however, make a lovely planter!

I'll pray for your bottom.

Blogger Julie Gillies said...

Hi Charlene,

You are a far more noble woman than I! I think I'll just stick to my daily walks and/or bike rides.

I want to thank you for your concern at She Speaks - I am the one who went to urgent care on Friday night. I truly appreciate your prayers.

Keep on rollerblading, you wild woman, you! ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go! That sort of thing will keep you looking and feeling young. I was thinking of getting a mountain bike for riding the trails at our local park for my 40th birthday (next month). That is not my normal activity. You are a great inspiration!

Blessings!
Marie

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
I am taking some time away from speaking to glean more from God and draw closer to Him. I need to be at home more with my children for a season. I will continue to post on my blog and update you all. I covet your prayers during this new season.
Favorite Sites