A tribute to a friend
On Friday of last week I was at the bedside of a friend as she gained her wings and went home to Jesus. Sheryl, her husband Kevin, and their son Caleb came into my families life because of our boys. My son, David and their son Caleb became buddies in 3 year old pre-school and now at 6 years old are still best buddies.

I share this with you because anyone who knew Sheryl was blessed by the way she lived her life. She was only 30 but she endured some big trials while here on the earth.

The incredible thing was you would never know she was facing anything by her countenance. Sheryl beat a cancerous brain tumor twice. During all the time of treatments and traveling almost 3 hours away every other weak for a year to receive treatments she never lost her joy or her faith. She would always give God glory. She had a smile and a kind word for everyone. Through all of this Kevin was the most adoring and devoted husband and father. He lived out the scripture calling for a husband to love his wife as Christ loved the church.

Even when the cancer returned for a third time late last year, she still sang praises to God, and her faith never wavered.

As we laid her to rest today; her earth suite anyways, I shed tears and still wondered why she had to leave us behind. Even though I don't have the answers, I can honestly say; Sheryl and the life she lived are an inspiration to me that will never go away or be forgotten.

I have seen one of Gods angels and been touched be her life in an eternal way. I thank God for the time I knew her here on this earth, and I look forward to seeing her in heaven. I pray for peace and joy for Kevin and Caleb.

I will miss my friend, Sheryl Benton.

Blessings,


9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Olsen said...

Dear Charlene, by heart goes out to you and this family. I lost my mom to a cancerous brain tumor when I was 17. I know God to be a mother to the motherless, and He will not fail this family.

You can bet I will pray for them.

Cyber hugs ~ Rachel

Blogger Vanessa Stephens said...

Thank you for your comments about Sheryl. God used her humble attitude to teach me a few of life's lessons. She inspired me just being around her wihtout even a work being said. She will be greatly missed by those who love her.

Blogger Vanessa Stephens said...

Thank you for the comments on Sheryl she was truly a blessing to all those around her. Her humble spirit during her cancer spoke to my heart in a powerful way. God used Sheryl to bless many people..

love
vanessa stephens

Blogger Vanessa Stephens said...

Thank you for the comments on Sheryl she was truly a blessing to all those around her. Her humble spirit during her cancer spoke to my heart in a powerful way. God used Sheryl to bless many people..

love
vanessa stephens

Blogger MelissaTaylor.org said...

Charlene,

I remember the sadness in your voice when you called the office last week to tell us the news. It was an honor to pray for Sheryl and I continue to lift up her son and husband.

Love you,
Melissa

Blogger Renee Swope said...

Charlene, I was visiting your blog last week and I thought I posted a comment. Friend, I am so sorry for the heartache Sheryl's family and friends must be going through. It sounds like her faith and her fight for the fullness of life was strong!!

I pray that her legacy of faith will be even more powerful than the when she was here living it. I also pray that God's promises and presence will be miraculously healing for Kevin and Caleb.

Love you!
Renee

Blogger Amy Carroll said...

Charlene,
I lost a close friend to breast cancer eight years ago, but her legacy lives on in my life. Just like your friend Sheryl, she lived out her faith gloriously throughout her illness. Please know that my heart aches with yours and that both you and Sheryl's family will be in my prayers.

Much love,
Amy

Charlene-I am so sorry for your loss, for this families loss. They and you are in my prayers. I came to your site after being on Rachel's and was blessed by your comment there of washing your husbands feet as a ceremony of your love and commitment. I hope to do this at our anniversary which is coming soon. I wanted to thank you for the idea. This post is a reminder of how very valuable our time with our loved ones should be.
God bless you...
In His Graces~Pamela

Blogger Tara Childress said...

Thank you for being there for Sheryl and her family and then sharing those moments with us. I am Sheryl's 1st cousin. I moved to Savannah GA about 7 yrs ago, so I didn't get to spend much time with her, but when I did see her she was always the same... one of the kindest people I ever knew. Thank you for being there in place of those of us that couldn't be.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me
I am taking some time away from speaking to glean more from God and draw closer to Him. I need to be at home more with my children for a season. I will continue to post on my blog and update you all. I covet your prayers during this new season.
Favorite Sites